Monday, April 23, 2012

Weekend recap: Rommelmarkten

Dutch 'rommelmarkt'
Originally uploaded by Flickr user leefschool
I hope you all had a great weekend!

Rolan and I spent Saturday morning rummaging through the neighborhood rommelmarkt, which is basically the Dutch word for flea market. The whole neighborhood heads outside and spreads their gently loved items on tables and blankets for sale. It's a good way to meet your neighbors and get some cheap goods! The weather did not cooperate much with hail and rain falling intermittently all weekend, but Rolan tells me that this is typical Dutch weather. And it didn't seem to deter the bargain-hunters at all.

The biggest rommelmarkt will happen this coming weekend. From what I've heard, this rommelmarkt turns Amsterdam into a mad house for a day, with every single gracht (canal) street filled with people and lined with tables piled high with antiques, clothes, etc. And on Monday, Queen's Day, the streets will continue to be filled with people dressed in orange, the color their royal family is named for. I am looking forward to celebrating my first Queen's Day as an honorary Nederlander!

In true American style, I'm getting the party started early by listening to this fun, upbeat ditty by Electric Guest. It's a real day-changer.


No comments:

Post a Comment